WWDC 2014 is almost here. The excitement certainly builds as the time Monday 10am PST nears. New devices, next releases of OS-X, iOS, new APIs and the possibility of new opportunity for us indie developers. (Last part is definitely wishful!)
Here is my wish list of features for the new iPhone 6 :-
- Sensors : I am speculating there will be more sensors similar to the TI sensor tag; temperature, humidity and other sensors to add to the power of the sensors already built in. Personal weather stations here they come.
- Health monitoring : There are rumors around an API / framework for health monitoring - sounds quite inevitable. Parts already exist on the iPhone 5S - CoreMotion(M7 chip) with Step Counting for running/walking/automotive. I am expecting to see the next evolution to M7. Maybe heart monitoring. (Btw, I wrote a fantastic pedometer/step counter for the iPhone 5S that tracks your steps on a daily basis perpetually. Please download and support the author;) )
- NFC and Bluetooth : Maybe more support for "near field communication" based on RFID standards but certainly extending or developing further Bluetooth LE / iBeacon technologies. More APIs here - YES! Payment processing - maybe!
- Processor : Faster and more functional versions of A7(64 bit) - A8? with a more feature packed M7 - the M8?. As a developer, this is so exciting as those apps can be so demanding.
- Wifi : Wifi support for 802.11ac is a given. All new devices are supporting this extremely fast protocol.
- Touch id v2.0 : On all new devices most likely including the new iPads.
- Display : Larger sizes; UHDTV compatible (not likely but again this is my wish list). Retina enhanced is more likely with more dpi and curves and possibly a replacement to the "gorilla" glass. In other words, better scratch resistance.
- Camera : Image stabilization; better resolution and more features here.
- Lightning supporting USB3? Faster syncs - Wifi 802.11ac syncs with iCloud++.
- iOS8 : With a lot of new features, new APIs and frameworks - if home automation framework happens that will be useful; heath and fitness framework; GPS that uses way less power - definitely on my wish list.
I think this is a good time to stop my wish list as I could go on and on. Some of the features mentioned above are in other rival Android devices and iPhone 6 will play catch up there. However, I believe we are in for a surprise - something groundbreaking - earth pulverizing-ly new in the iPhone 6...only 2 days left!. The excitement builds
-- Gary Saggu
-- Developer/blogger/coder - C, C++, Java, Objective C